University of Utah Medical Secretary in Salt Lake City, Utah
Open Date 03/13/2018
Requisition Number PRN16571B
Job Title Medical Secretary
Working Title Medical Secretary
Job Grade UGR
FLSA Code Nonexempt
Patient Sensitive Job Code? Yes
Standard Hours per Week 40
Full Time or Part Time? Full Time
Work Schedule Summary
VP Area U of U Health - Academics
Department 01102 - Liver Transplant Program
City Salt Lake City, UT
Type of Recruitment External Posting
Pay Rate Range 14.29 - 18.94
Open Until Filled Yes
Provides secretarial and administrative support for the Division of Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Surgery.
1. Provides administrative support to clinicians, supervisors and departments by coordinating calendars, scheduling meetings and appointments.
2. Types and proofs correspondence, memoranda, reports, proposals, technical papers, manuscripts and related materials.
3. Transcribes dictation relating to medical histories, physical examinations, discharges and other special notes involving a wide variety of medical terminology.
4. Schedules patients for laboratory tests, medical examinations and consultations.
5. Prepares and maintains accurate and orderly patient medical records.
6. Arranges or assists in arranging patient transportation.
7. Assists patients, patients’ families, referring physicians, and third party carriers to resolve patient related issues, including explaining various types of medical insurance plans.
8. Enters data intoEIPC, OneChart, Rooms and other word processing and scheduling software programs.
9. Provides additional general office and clinical support such as answering phones and responding to calls, greeting and directing visitors/patients, filing, copying, making travel arrangements and opening and processing mail.
This job description is not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities and qualifications required of employees assigned to the job.
Work Environment and Level of Frequency typically required
Nearly Continuously: Office environment.
Physical Requirements and Level of Frequency that may be required
Nearly Continuously: Sitting, hearing, listening, talking.
Often: Repetitive hand motion (such as typing), walking.
Seldom: Bending, reaching overhead.
High school diploma or equivalency and four years secretarial experience or equivalency required; knowledge of medical terminology; strong word processing and spreadsheet software skills; demonstrated organizational, human relations, and effective communication skills also required.
Preferred: Two years of experience in a hospital, clinic or laboratory setting. Patient registration or related experience also preferred.
This position is patient sensitive.
experience in a medical setting preferred.
Type Benefited Staff
Special Instructions Summary
The University of Utah is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer and is committed to diversity in its workforce. In compliance with applicable federal and state laws, University of Utah policy of equal employment opportunity prohibits discrimination on the basis of race or ethnicity, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, veteran’s status, status as a qualified person with a disability, or genetic information. Individuals from historically underrepresented groups, such as minorities, women, qualified persons with disabilities, and protected veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Veterans’ preference is extended to qualified applicants, upon request and consistent with University policy and Utah state law.
To inquire about this posting, email: email@example.com or call 801-581-2300. Reasonable accommodations in the application process will be provided to qualified individuals with disabilities. To request an accommodation or for further information about University AA/EO policies, please contact the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action, 201 S. Presidents Cr., Rm 135, (801) 581-8365 (V/ TDD ), email: firstname.lastname@example.org .
The University is a participating employer with Utah Retirement Systems (“URS”). To be eligible for retirement contributions, you must be hired into a benefit-eligible position. Certain new hires are automatically assigned to the URS retirement plan and other employees with prior URS service, may elect to enroll in the URS within 30 days of hire. Regardless of whether they are hired into a benefit-eligible position or not, individuals who previously retired and are receiving monthly retirement benefits from URS must notify the Benefits Department upon hire. Please contact Utah Retirement Systems at (801)366-7770 or (800)695-4877 or the University’s Benefits Department at (801)581-7447 for information.
This position may require the successful completion of a criminal background check and/or drug screen.
We protect our patients, coworkers, and community by requiring all patient care employees to be immunized according to CDC standards. All patient care employees must receive the following vaccinations:
•Hepatitis B for some jobs
Limited exemptions may be made for documented medical contraindications or religious beliefs that object to vaccinations.